Chiropractic care and physical therapy have a lot in common, but they are two completely different fields of treatment. There are many similarities in the types of health issues they both address as well as some similarities in the approaches, but the delivery of treatment is where the primary difference lies.
Common Themes Between Chiropractic Care and Physical Therapy
There are a variety of common themes or threads between chiropractic treatment and physical therapy including:
- Pain relief. Both practices focus on pain relief for the patient. Whether it is acute pain from a recent injury or chronic pain that has been ongoing, either of these treatments may help to relieve your pain.
- Non-invasive. Neither of these practices involve any type of invasive procedure like surgery. These treatments involve adjustments and movements of the body.
- Holistic approach. Both chiropractic treatment and physical therapy are considered to be holistic approaches. Holistic medicine promotes healing rather than masking symptoms. The goal is to determine the source of the pain and eliminate it, or reduce it, at the source.
- Drug free. An important part of the holistic approach to medicine is avoiding medication. As stated above, pain relievers and other medications are designed to reduce your symptoms, but are not a cure. Chiropractic services and physical therapy are both treatments for pain that do not involve drugs.
- Hands-on treatment. Both chiropractors and physical therapists use hands-on treatment techniques that involve moving and adjusting the patient’s body to relieve pain and realign bones and joints.
- Level of education. Both chiropractors and physical therapists must achieve college degrees in their respective fields and complete certification requirements to practice their particular profession.
Major Differences Between Chiropractic and PT
Despite all of the similarities, there are some significant differences between the two fields.
Chiropractic treatment focuses on the alignment of the spine and how it affects the rest of your body. A spinal misalignment can cause other joints and body parts to move incorrectly. It can cause muscle and nerve damage. A chiropractor can make adjustments to your spine to realign the vertebrae as well as adjoining parts of your body like your hips and shoulders.
Physical therapy focuses on the movement of muscles and joints. It involves stretching, exercises, and other techniques to strengthen the muscles and even help the body learn, or sometimes relearn, how to move properly.
Chiropractors and Physical Therapists Often Work Together
If a person has an injury from an accident or has been experiencing chronic pain, it is not uncommon for a doctor to prescribe both chiropractic care and physical therapy. In some cases you may receive treatment from one or the other for a period of time, followed by the other, and in other cases the two treatments may overlap.
Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment and Physical Therapy in One Facility
If you are lucky enough to have the option in your area, a chiropractic and physical therapy clinic in one facility is extremely convenient. This allows you to get all the benefits of chiropractic treatment and physical therapy in one place. A spinal adjustment may be just the right start for a physical therapy session, or vice versa depending on your needs. You may also receive one type of treatment one day of the week, and the other on a different day.
Another major benefit is that your chiropractor and physical therapist are colleagues working for the same practice. This allows them to collaborate seamlessly to provide you with the best possible care. You can receive the necessary adjustments to your spine and get physical therapy tips at the same time.
Kim Chiropractic and Rehab Provides Both Services
Are you in need of both chiropractic care and physical therapy? Kim Chiropractic provides both services at our facilities. We have trained and certified professionals on staff to meet all of your needs. Get the benefits of both services to relieve your pain and help you make a faster recovery.
Contact us at any of our convenient locations to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you improve your quality of life.