Are you going to the chiropractor for the first time? Chiropractic treatment is helpful for people who need spinal realignment. Whether you were in an accident, have unexplained back pain, or some other condition, chiropractic services can be helpful.
If you’re just getting started, you may wonder what to wear to a chiropractor appointment. It is important for you to be comfortable so that the treatment will be effective. Here are some suggestions to prepare you for your first time at the chiropractor.
What to Wear to the Chiropractor
Chiropractic treatment involves stretching and moving the body, so you’ll need to wear clothes and shoes that allow for that. Here are some suggestions for both men and women.
- Loose fitting clothing. It can help to wear loose fitting clothing to allow your body freedom of movement.
- Stretchy clothing. Clothing should also be made of stretchy fabric like spandex, cotton, nylon, etc. Choose clothes that are designed for exercise.
- Breathable fabric. You may be more comfortable in breathable fabrics like cotton, nylon, polyester, rayon, etc. Again, choose clothes that are designed for exercise.
- Sweats. Sweatpants and sweatshirts are comfortable and loose fitting. They are also warm during the cold weather months.
- Gym shorts. In the warm weather months you may be more comfortable in gym shorts or athletic shorts.
- Yoga pants. Yoga pants are designed to be stretchy and allow you to move, making them good options for chiropractic appointments.
- Athletic shoes, orthopedic shoes, or flats. Depending on the type of treatment you are receiving, your shoes may or may not matter. But it is usually best to wear athletic shoes like sneakers or tennis shoes. If you wear orthopedic shoes, wear them to your treatment. At the very least, wear flats and avoid high heels. If you take your shoes off for treatment, wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off.
What Not to Wear to the Chiropractor
Here are some items to avoid wearing when you go to your appointment at the chiropractor.
- Tight or stiff clothing. Clothing that is too tight or stiff may restrict your movement and prevent the chiropractor from being able to effectively provide treatment.
- Dresses or skirts. It may be difficult to move freely in a dress or skirt. Treatment may also require bending and lifting the legs.
- Suits or dress shirts. Suits and dress shirts are often too restrictive for chiropractic treatment.
- High heels. High heels are not ideal for movement and can be unhealthy in a variety of ways in general. Wearing heels can put undue strain on your feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back.
- Pantyhose. Pantyhose is often too tight to allow your body to have complete range of motion.
- Shaping undergarments. Avoid wearing any kind of body shaping undergarments, such as girdles, spanks, or other items as they are extremely restrictive.
- Jewelry. Jewelry may get in the way of your treatment, especially necklaces that may interfere with treatment of the neck.
- Work boots. Work boots, especially steel-toed boots are too bulky to wear for chiropractic treatment.
- Delicate fabrics. Delicate fabrics like silk or satin may be susceptible to damage during treatment, so they are best to be avoided on appointment days.
Additional Tips for Staying Comfortable
The best thing you can do before and during your chiropractic appointment is to relax. Relaxation is important for your body and your general state of mind. Tight muscles and tension will make it more difficult for adjustments to be made. If you feel nervous about going to chiropractor, it may help to read about the common myths about chiropractic treatment.
Kim Chiropractic and Rehab Provides Chiropractic and Physical Therapy Services
Are you wondering, is chiropractic right for me? Your doctor may prescribe chiropractic treatment, but you don’t need a referral. Kim Chiropractic and Rehab is a chiropractic and physical therapy clinic in one. You can start treatment at any time by scheduling a consultation. We will perform an evaluation and determine the best course of treatment.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to providing you with quality chiropractic and rehabilitation services.